Prevention of Alcoholism
Speaking in bureaucratic language, alcohol has made a racing career on a blue planet. Get remember, how perseverance and readily Indians demanded from new settlers for “fire water”. And the same primitive interest in strong drinks is still shown by the residents of most countries and continents from early age. Moreover, the picture over the years has not changed significantly. Only countries change places in the unofficial race for the volume of alcohol abuse. It turns out that there are almost no oases without John Barleycorn in a society.
There is one positive aspect in a circulation of alcoholic poisons. On the whole the society, however, has realized the scale treats of alcohol. It remains to attain these arguments to achieve a particular individual. Then, it may be possible to change the magnitude of the problem of many generations, alcoholism, and it will start to give up. We need a little for that. It is competent and clearly understanding by all-age people prevention of alcoholism. The problem is that it is a complex of measures and it is necessary it own approach for each age and sex drinking group.
Problems of prevention in adolescence
This topic has reached a peak of relevance during the last decade. Only doctors and law enforcement know real size of the problem of teen alcoholism. People of these and a few more jobs are at the end of a trouble conveyor. But, the relative calm in the hearts and minds of teachers, parents – anyone who is in close proximity with the child and should be engaged in his upbringing. Otherwise, it is impossible to explain why the first information that the teenager drinks alcohol or became an addict increasingly comes not from school and the family. This fact raises serious concerns about the state of preventive work among teenagers.
Maybe, because of indifference attitude to children, sometimes they have no one to talk, and the more, to look for a way out of the predicament! Having got tangled, at first a child finds comfort with a glass of law-alcohol drink. Has anybody talked to him, by what can turn the first test of alcohol?
Objectives of the teaching staff
In fact what had happened between the school and parents often causes debates about who is blame for what had happened. Perhaps there is no the subject of the dispute: the two sides should bear a share of responsibility.
The work of the class teacher, social educator is not limited by the multiplication table or the pangs of a young scientist Lomonosov in searching of the formula of vodka. There are classifications of activities while working with a child who is noticed at the craving for alcohol:
- optimization of social adaptation conditions of children with prerequisites to alcoholic drinks though his personal development;
- prevention of alcoholism, including anti-alcoholic talks about the formation of a negative attitude to alcohol of any kind;
- parents’ education for forcing them to a healthy lifestyle in a family, development of relations culture in link “fathers- children”;
- social rehabilitation of the child, who crossed the brink of alcoholic psychic and physical dependence;
- intermediation between the problem child and his environment in order to eliminate barriers for his social adaptation.
The solution of a problem for realization of the main methods of prevention at a level “family-school” is complicated by the presence of large, yet unsolved, problems in society:
- measures for reducing of the production, sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages;
- actions of government officials, medical institutions, psychologists and others in the fight against the spread of alcoholism.
The tasks of the State
The scope of the bodies of state power is bigger:
- to monitor the control of production quality of enterprises, engaged in production of alcoholic beverages;
- to provide bans on the sale of alcohol to minors and to enforce legislation;
- to limit the places of retail outlets for the sale and drinking of beverages;
- to create conditions that would prevent drinking at jobs;
- to adopt regulatory documents and monitor their compliance of the administrative and legal punishment of alcoholics appear in public “for fun”;
- to engage in explanatory work about harmful impact of alcohol on human psyche and health;
- to help in identifying people, prone to alcoholism, and to worry about return them healthy and performance into the society.
Teen alcoholism carries a double risk – the loss of the individual and at the same time – a member of society, as a producer of wealth in the future and transfer a genetic member.
Such tasted methods as talks, lectures about the negative effect of alcohol and its consequences, graphic illustration, including on the Internet, where the young people are used to be:
- pernicious influence of alcohol on the body;
- consequences that inevitably await for drinker;
- legislation, providing measures of control and punishing the crimes because of alcoholism.
Prevention of Alcoholism: trends, strategies and kinds
Based on the objective, performance by a society for an individual and the state in struggle against such social vice as alcoholism, throughout the history of its existence, various measures to prevent the disease have been taken.
That is the reality and it has to be considered. According to studies by the World Health Organization (WHO), alcohol ranks third as a cause of mortality in the world. It increases the risk of cirrhosis, some kinds of cancer, cardio – vascular diseases and mental disorders. The modern pace of life is not suitable for everyone and people seek to relieve stress and psycho-emotional tension with the help of alcohol.
This became one of the causes of emerged conflict during the recent years between society’s need for young professionals without harmful habits, including alcoholism, and inconspicuous, and therefore ineffective methods of prevention.
Let’s consider the last one, more precisely, not the prevention of alcoholism, but its constituents. There are three of them.
Primary. It aims to pre-empt the emergence of prerequisites or the disease itself, the negative consequences and to enhance the positive characteristics of personality development.
You can reach a goal, directing efforts to several areas:
- the development and strengthening of motivation to the positive development;
- the orientation of the individual to understanding of himself, his behavioral and emotional characteristics;
- strengthening of resistance to stress, switching on all body’s reserves to the perception of alcohol as a disease;
- reduction risk factors of alcoholism due to the use of countermeasures to them;
- development of personal skills for self-management of your own destiny;
- the development of individual and social – reinforcing areas.
During the primary prevention, doctors study genetic and biological characteristics to identify opportunities for their correction on the professional physician level.
Secondary. The scope of its activity is determined by the perspective of risk area from the number of people, susceptible to the disease of alcoholism. From this a main objective follows – the transformation of pseudo-formulas of risk behavior into clear formula of a healthy behavior.
Social technologies are focused on the motivation of the absolute cessation of alcohol consumption, on replacing the “poles” behavior to a positive behavior.
In a medical practice it is reduced to the normalization of physical and mental health, biochemical and physiological balance.
Tertiary. The problem of alcoholism prevention at this stage lies in restoring the person and its effective behavior in a real environment after recovery. And the second direction in this area – is to reduce the harm of alcohol poisons on the body of those, who are not yet firmly stands on his feet.
Medical treatment, at this stage, should precisely determine the moment and the point of its efforts for the normalization of psycho-physical condition of the patient.
The above kinds are divided into a number of separate areas of prevention:
- classes according to the school curriculum of training institutions;
- family therapy;
- participation in organized social formations;
- active involvement of the mass media;
- impact on the group from among the “risk zone” in schools, high schools, etc.;
- systematic training system of experts of appropriate level;
- motivation of prevention work;
- “recovering” of the social environment;
- warning about the effect of alcoholism.
During the most active periods of alcohol abuse, a society has used different methods of struggle with this evil. From conversations of belief in the wrong choose to radical measures. But neither bans nor penalty, and all the more so conversation, did not give the result. But it was noticed that one of the alternatives of life in an alcoholic daze appeared healthy leisure, especially when it comes to young people. Youth parties, clubs “For those who are over …”, and circles for general hobbies, rooms for aerobics, etc. bring a use.
Religion and prevention of alcoholism
Religious organizations play their role in the prevention of alcoholism. But the people at large do not notice this often. Probably, because that the priests do not promote their participation in fight against the social ills of society. For a long time, besides of government agencies, participation of non-governmental organizations was discussed only. Only in recent years these pages in priests’ life have opened.
The Bible in the fight against alcoholism
At the canons of the Orthodox social priorities alcoholism is shown as “enmity against God”, “voluntarily called devil,” etc. Attitude is unequivocal.
The priests mark alcoholic dependence as one of the consequences of human’s retreating from the moral priorities and loss of spirituality. That is why a church is not an indifferent observer of further moral decline of society. She is ready to continue fighting for a healthy mind of tribesmen in coordination with the government, civil institutions, and representatives of all stakeholders.
Most participants in this struggle are based mainly on the material and medical aspects of the question. Representatives of the clergy – are on spirituality. The church uses the specific approaches in overcoming of person’s alcohol addiction. People are attached to the traditional way of life through the scriptures and postulates. Comfort conditions for rehabilitations are created for the patients, and this allows analyzing consciously the difference between the alcoholic’s lifestyle and way of life of a full-fledged person. Many churches have their own shelters, rehabilitation programs, form self-help groups among alcoholics and their families. There are separately created for those children and adolescents who have to be in the drinking families.
The work in these centers is not based on prohibitions but on mutual trust and cooperation.
It is a world practice, which is becoming more common and getting trust of patients with alcoholism and in the former CIS.
Quran and Alcoholism
In fact, these two concepts are incompatible. Let’s try to “read” the sacred book from the perspective of the observed topics. Many scholars of Islam characterize its regulations, as targeting well in the protection of human health. More than 14 centuries ago, the foundation was set on, right of Preventive Medicine. Multiple (five times a day) bath and maintaining the body in the purity, the prohibition to use fat (pork) and wine are norms of behavior in society, in the family, etc. It is not health care, both physical and spiritual!
Islam categorically prohibits consumption of alcohol and drugs. The verses and hadiths (sayings of the Prophet) prohibit the manufacturing, consumption, buying and selling any substance, leading to clouding the mind. And earned money is considered to be a haram, i.e. forbidden.
In the literature you can find a comparison of the results of alcohol prohibition in the first half of the last century in America, and later in the USSR, with the attitude to alcohol in a Muslim society. What was more effective in the fight against alcoholism in practice?
We do not talk about the promotion of religion, but only about the essence of the considered subject.
The conclusion is forced upon you – it is necessary to raise the level of spirituality of society. A human will always find a loophole in bans that is why he is a «homo sapiens».
Is it necessary a prohibition for those, who have already taken a cure?
At first sight, the question does not seem relevant: a man has been cured! He had most likely been treated on his own free will! From what you can warn him and what him invoke to?
An alcoholic who has found the strength in himself and one day had decided on a bold move – to get rid of alcoholism, after treatment should not be left alone. For the final returning to a healthy lifestyle it is necessary to stabilize the work of his brain, prevent possible conflicts. Close people and special courses psychiatrist should help with this.
It is not a secret that the choice of a former alcoholic can be not taken by his pals. The community is not always ready to forget the human’s errors, and it means, does not welcome him after recovery. You will not cover all variants, but the fact remains: that in life there may be situations, which can trigger a breakdown.
To avoid this, it would be good to create an appropriate environment, without meeting with former drinking buddies or provocateurs. Perhaps in some cases they have to change their place of residence until moving to another location. It is important to fill the human’s free time with affairs, useful to himself or to society.
A human, who has recently taken a course of treatment, may become irritable. And it can destroy the sleep and cause serious dreams at the Alcohol topic. At this moment, the protective functions of the body are able to crack: let’s test the defense to destruction?
We need to listen to the occasional thirsts and to take urgent measures, in case of frequent repeats. It is necessary to consult a drug specialist, maybe a person requires for anti on recurrent treatment.
Preventive measures include control of hepatitis, gastritis and other diseases of the internal organs. It is necessary to strictly adhere to proper diet, eliminate starvations, including health ones. Food intake is able to extinguish the desire to drink; in this case the body needs for help from outside products.
For a man who has returned to the normal lifestyle, explanations about severe alcohol consequences, preventive talks about the symptoms of alcohol dependence are important. Former alcoholics are especially useful as interlocutors who have already passed all the medical procedures and rehabilitation period.
The main thing that the former alcoholic should understand is that he will never be able to drink alcohol. Some think that have being taken a treatment, they eradicate the disease and that is why can, “like everybody else” drink at least on holidays.
In a person, who has taken a course of treatment and rehabilitation, a ghost of alcohol is settling for whole life.
20 rules of how not to succumb to the temptations of “John Barleycorn”:
- No prevention measures, even modern, will help to get rid from a severe disease, if an alcoholic doesn’t decide to.
- Do not store alcoholic beverages at home, so that one day, they, directly or with the help of friends, are not tempted to try at least a little.
- Pay more attention to the family and try to restore “burnt bridges” of relations.
- To reinstate, change jobs or occupations that would bring a satisfaction. Permanent employment will fill the time. This will help to prevent the formation of a vacuum, which can be automatically filled with useless pastime, and idleness. Employment will change the financial situation that will enhance the possibilities for the implementation of some long-held dream.
- To pay more attention to the hobby. Satisfaction with the results of work done will enhance the emotional state; expand the scope of positive affairs, which form the basis the level of self-esteem rising.
- Do not hesitate to recognize the appearance of a problem in dealing with alcohol and to ask for a help from psychologist.
- Pay attention to sport and physical education. They help to maintain the rhythm of life, to find internal resources and evaluate themselves and the environment objectively.
- Do not leave the resolution of internal conflicts. Psychological and not biological factors are the causes of alcoholism. The concept of “being self-obsessed” becomes an additional factor of alcoholism prevention.
- Do not decorate your own “I’m”, but perceive yourself as you are – with all the positives and negatives in the behavior and character. Knowing what is negative, increases the effectiveness of the change of the “I’m”.
- Find the strength to overcome the feeling of guilt. Everything that has been done during the alcoholic times had gone. And bad things had gone with it. 1. Constant self-flagellation can settle deep inside the person and trigger the renewing of thrust to alcohol. If the struggle with this feeling one on one does doesn’t work, you should look to doctors for help again.
- Don’t look for easy way, don’t try to bypass the problems, get rid of anxious foreboding. Increased strap of anxiety – is a characteristic feature of people, concerned about the alcohol problem. Anxiety and fear before the upcoming events do not always have a hard core and reasonableness. More often in such situation, a person cannot express the reason for the fear. Her search for the imagination of man draws horrifying picture of the future. In order not to run into them again, people can make a rash step, and take up the glass. Its search visualizes horrifying pictures of the future. In order not to run into them again, people can make a rash step, and begin to drink.
- Learn to be realistic about life situations and find solutions to the encountered or suspected problems. Having overcome one obstacle, the next will seem easier.
- Do not stop on TV with the criminal chronicle or movies – horror stories on the screen. Negative information overload psyche, causing negative reactions and can lead to fears and feelings with all its consequences.
- Increase the range of pleasures, in which a favorite music, re-read or new book, and also a good film, and for somebody – a serial, or even tasty drink or pie would find its place. Pleasant things will upstage the painful memories of alcoholic period.
- Expand your knowledge of the world: it is not ashamed to ask, it is ashamed not to know something. Going to the cinema and the theater, museums and concerts can help to expand your horizons. Find your place in the social work. All of this will also help improve self-esteem.
- No matter how interesting and useful your hobbies and work, do not deny yourself in pleasure of walking around your locality or along the paths of the park. Add to the comfort and rest a little bit of fresh air.
- Take care about your appearance, hairstyle, and clothes; be interested in fashion trends and popular topics in literature, the Internet, etc. Satisfaction from own picture of “I’m” may give rise to greater perfection.
- Find, through friends, acquaintances, or online clubs of Anonymous Alcoholics, new friends and meet with those, who understand the problem and have experienced similar before. Understanding each other perfectly simplifies the situation and relieves tension in the relationship with the new and his feelings.
- If nothing helps to resist the temptation to drink, do not test yourself, ask for help from a doctor.
- Admit: I’m – a Personality. Yes, a Person from capital letter. It will be the first step towards the planned changes in your life.
And the main rule of prevention of alcoholism is not written at any cannon, but it’s often remembered, because it’s actual anywhere and in all periods of time – don’t abuse alcohol.
Follow this rule, and then you cannot to memorize the above top 20.
Leave a Reply